Thursday, April 21, 2011

Eating Out Never Tasted So Good!

I had a much more successful second day on Weight Watchers, but I knew that my after-work plans could either set the pace for this new lifestyle or quell it. 

Instead of starting out the day with my usual Slim-Fast (a whopping 5 Points), I had a bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 cup 1% milk (4 Points).  For lunch, I had some rice and veggie leftovers (6 Points), a 1 oz. serving of pretzel sticks (3 Points), some Musselman's Lite apple sauce (0 Points), and my Cherry Coke Zero (0 Points).

I meticulously clawed my way through the Applebees online menu earlier today to figure out what I could and couldn't eat.  I just knew if I went in unprepared, I would fall back on my usual chicken strips and fries or a cheeseburger (couple that with a regular soda and a refill and my Points would be gone for the rest of the week). Their menu is famous for having Weight Watchers approved items, but none of them sounded up my alley.  And then I spotted their new 550 calories and under section and was pleased to find an Asiago Peppercorn Steak with vegetables and new potatoes.  Not only was it less than 550 calories, it was only 10 Points!  It was one of the first times in a while that I've cleaned my plate while eating out (vegetables included, and it was even broccoli!).  I actually picked off the cheese and peppercorns as well, so I'm sure I saved myself an extra point or so.  Top that delicious steak off with water instead of soda, and I was left with 6 Points for dessert!

Just before joining Weight Watchers I had found these little Weight Watchers desserts that promised decadence, but I assumed it would be like any other typical "diet" food.  Boy, was I wrong!  The Weight Watchers Coffee Cakes (3 Points) are perfectly portioned and so delicious.  Dad, you'll have to try these.  They may not be Drakes Cakes, but they're pretty dang close!  Weight Watchers also has it's version of a Twinkie that comes in at just 2 Points.

All in all, I ended my day using 28 of my allowable 29 Points; I didn't even dip into my extra Points even though I was going out.  The biggest lesson learned today: If you're planning on eating out, do your research.  While I was limited to the number of items I could eat, I didn't feel deprived and actually enjoyed my meal more than when I would pick my standard restaurant fanfare.  I consider today's adventure in healthy eating...successful!

1 comment:

  1. Jill, congrats on joining weight watchers! I love it. :) I have been using weight watchers for about three years now. I know you can do it! :) There is another blog out here with weight watcher recipes, and they are fantastic. I will send you the link. :) Good luck on your journey!
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete